Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Covent Gardener #2 (Cyber Candy and Tin Tin)

Upon a blissful retreat from Jubilee Market Hall, I found myself going off-piste and through very venetian streets, back towards the tube station. I was contently making my way back with the three shirts and various treasures from the markets when something caught my eye. Super Mario, Donkey Kong and Jelly Beans all in the same sentence. All in the same window. I quickly crossed the street and walked through the door of a place, not unlike what I imagine Heavens Gift shop to be. The place was 'Cyber Candy' the produce was Candy, themed not only from the worlds palate, but that of the virtual worlds.



The above shelf housed everything from Nintendo Controllers filled with mints, Atari Joystick filled with jelly chews, An array of Mushrooms (both Regular and one up, amongst others), T-Virus Antidote Drops, Slimer Sours (Slimer being the patent ghost of ghost busters)and a whole lot more of novelty candy that the packaging was far more a keepsake that the flavor.
Just saying, the Health and Mana potions, they were anti-re-gen. anti-heals.
They were poison.
I thought they may have been bubble blowing liquid. They werent. But due to their orientation.
They're still bomb. They still rock.

----

The opposite wall housed a remarkable amount of Candy from the Orient. I had to try the Ginger Ale Kit Kat, as memories of Japan's terrifically tantalizing range of kit-kat's was too much of a nostalgia hit to resist the purchase. And don't let the name fool you, collon are a delicious snack. If you ever attend the rock concert that is Cyber Candy, i recommend the Japanese Strawberry Sugar Drops. They're just below the oreos. And they're delectable.


The drinks fridge was just as impressive, keeping cool Flaming Moes, DK's jungle juice, Naruto, Street Fighter and Mr. Men themed energy drinks. I had to get myself a hand full of cans, and I tell you, I made it back to the tube in under 45 seconds.


And how can you call yourself a lolly store without having a giant selection of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. They call them self a lolly shop, alright.

and then there was the Tin Tin Shop;


It was like a high end boutique, but instead of Kashmir scarfs or Italian high fashion, it housed classic Tin Tin Merch' at very reasonable prices. They had every comic every printed by Hergé, as well as chronologies of the comics in hardback volumes. They had shirts, posters, a whole section of model cars in the style of tin-tin, spanning the classic french and global automobiles ever driven by our favorite French, polo-wearing, white-dog-named-snowy-owning, globe trotting detective. They had figures made of Wedgwood, as well as ceramics and wood carvings. It was a store rivaled perhaps only by the Paddington bear store, such exclusive products to keep the vision of Hergé and the history of this great comic alive.

I was browsing the bookshelf sized store for over half an hour, deciding what to buy and how much to spend. I thought the lady was going to ask me to leave, as I was not 'high-brow' enough for the Tin-Tin store. But she got her revenge, as she came flailing towards me in true french style, exclaiming my iPod was on "too loud." I pulled the headphones out of my ears to hear Placebo's 'Bulletproof Cupid' blaring throughout the tranquil store. "Sorry. It's a loud song." I replied. She pursed her lips and nodded, she wanted my money. And i needed new headphones. You could hear it better from her end than in my ears.

I made my purchases and darting in and out of boutiques, i made my way back to the tube, ready to return to Covent Gardens as soon as possible.

here is a small sample of the treasures of a Material Nature I found at London's Covent Gardens;


Abbey Road Storm Strooper Shirt, Tin Tin Comics Volume 4,
4 Hand Carved Wooden Animal Pens (giraffe, elephant, peacock and leopard),
1 Up Mushroom Mints, Hylian Shield Mints, Nes Controller Lollies,
Genuine Heath and Mana Potions,
Pac Man Peppermint
and a Sonic Screw driver and a Lego Diver for Eye Candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment